Selective Breeding and Genetic EngineeringResource
This set of learning resources supports teaching about the ways in which plant genetics can be manipulated through selective breeding and genetic engineering to improve crop characteristics. A video on the work carried out by a plant genetic researcher provides career insights, whilst a vital current topic for debate is included in a scientific argumentation task to develop students’ ability to evaluate implications and make decisions about technological applications of science. These resources therefore provide not only scientific content linked to the curriculum, but also opportunities for students to develop working scientifically skills through discussion, evaluation, drawing conclusions and writing responses to extended exam questions.
These learning resources have been designed as a cohesive unit, but individual elements can also be used as stand-alone teaching resources. There is flexibility in how these resources can be used, to allow adaptation within the classroom for use with a range of students. Notes on each activity highlight the learning objectives, teaching approaches, resources, adaptability and expected outcomes.
The Wraparound PowerPoint presentation is intended to help navigate the series of resources. It provides a route through the topic, learning objectives for students and a suggested teaching order. The Teaching Notes provide details on each of the activities and suggested answers to tasks where appropriate.
Co-creation of this resource was made possible by an EU grant from EIT Food as part of the WeValueFood project to Science and Plants for Schools, which is part of the University of Cambridge Gatsby Plant Science Education Programme.
This activity received funding from EIT Food, the innovation community on Food of the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT), a body of the EU, under the Horizon 2020, the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation.
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 0 - Wraparound Ppt
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 1 - True or False Questions
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 2 - Selective Breeding
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 3A - Genetic Engineering Task
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 3B - Genetic Engineering Task Explanation (written)
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 4A - What's The Story
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 4B - What's Your Issue
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 4C - Facts
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 4D - WritingFrame
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 5 - Marking Question
- SAPS - Breeding Better Wheat - 6 - Teaching Notes